Error when starting the Windows service

May 28, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Edited May 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM
I have just installed the Windows service on my Windows Server 2008 R2 machine.
Now when I try to start the service, it stops immediately and the Event Viewer shows this error:
Service cannot be started. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Coding4Fun.Kinect.KinectService.WindowsService.ServiceEngine.Start()
   at Coding4Fun.Kinect.KinectService.WindowsService.ServiceHost.OnStart(String[] args)
   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)
I had this same issue when trying to run my own service. I noticed error occured when I tried to access the AudioSource, skeleton stream or just start the sensor.

Any idea what could be causing this issue? The console application doesn't work because I am running from inside RDP and it lacks access to the external hardware. But I guess the service should be able to.
Coordinator
May 28, 2014 at 4:45 PM
Unfortunately you're running under two unsupported scenarios: RDP and Windows Server 2008 R2. I'm not sure what the issue would be in that environment, but it sounds like the service, like the console app, cannot connect to the device. I'd suggest running directly on the box (no RDP) and/or changing to an OS that's supported by the SDK (from the site):

Supported Operating System

Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Embedded Standard 7
Aug 2, 2014 at 11:14 AM
I finally had a chance to try to run the application directly on the box, but unfortunately it gives me the same error.
Although I understand Windows Server is not supported, I'm still trying to find a way to use the Kinect from the server. The reason for this is that I want to use Kinect to be able to give voice commands to my home automation system, which runs on the server.

Unfortunately the error isn't very clear, so I have no idea what is causing it. I hope someone can give me an idea on what could be causing this error on a server, since a lot of the OS is the same as Windows 7. Kinect did install fine as well.
Aug 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Edited Aug 21, 2014 at 10:36 AM
I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my new Intel NUC and connected the Kinect.
Unfortunately, I still get the same error! :( The Kinect was working fine on my other PC on Windows 7.

Any other ideas of what could be wrong?

[UPDATE]
After installing the SDK, the issue seems to have been solved! Any idea why this wouldn't work with just the runtime? I don't feel like installing the SDK on a system I don't develop on.