Slow Listeners

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the great solution to consume Kinect services from different technologies.

But only the problem (actually a big problem) is, the response is extremely (almost 5 seconds delay) for all the listeners. I am testing with console service with WinRT client.

Can you please help. I really want to build my application WinRT than in WPF.

Thanks

Mk

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Hello,

Can you give a bit more info on your setup?  I was not seeing that kind of delay when testing here against multiple machines across a network.

Are you using the compiled versions of the client-side pieces?  If you're using source. absolutely make sure you're compiling the service client in Release mode...there is a ton of overhead in Debug  builds with C++ projects.

Brian

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:00 AM
Edited Jan 4, 2013 at 5:45 AM

Hello Brian,

Thanks for the reply.

I am running compiled ConsoleHost as Service (KinectService\Samples\Hosts\ConsoleHost)

Then started the given non compiled sample (KinectService\Samples\Clients\WinRT XAML) in debug mode started listening the service. And the sample is using compiled version client side piece, which is Coding4Fun.Kinect.KinectService.WinRTClient.

It works fine with WPF Client though.

My machine configuration:  i7- 2.20 GHZ and 8 GB RAM and 64 bit OS.

Hope this is enough information.

Thanks

Mk

Coordinator
Jan 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Which client(s) are you using?  Color, Depth, Skeleton or Audio?

I just tested again here with the package up on CodePlex and am not seeing any noticeable delay with any of the clients, even across a wired and wireless network.  Are you wired or wireless?  Or are both the service and client on the same machine?

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Hello Brian,

Please see my answers below.

Which client(s) are you using?  Color, Depth, Skeleton or Audio?

Color, Depth and Skeleton.

I just tested again here with the package up on CodePlex and am not seeing any noticeable delay with any of the clients, even across a wired and wireless network.  Are you wired or wireless?  Or are both the service and client on the same machine?

Both are on the same machine. I tried it several times, It works happily with WPF Client. I really want to utilize this opportunity (Kinect service) to develop in WinRT. Can you please help.

Thanks

Coordinator
Jan 7, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure what else to suggest...

Are you seeing the delay with all 3 clients?  Are you just running the stock code from the .zip without any changes?  All of my testing on several machines here, local and networked, shows full frame rate across all the clients without delays...

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Hi muralig,

Have you tried to reduce the fame rate/ resolution of the video stream?
I faced the same problem before, but after I adjusted the frame rate and the resolution of the video, it worked fine.

Aiken
Sep 14, 2014 at 11:16 PM
Edited Sep 14, 2014 at 11:17 PM
I experiment very slow response with colorlistener
how have you solve the probleme muralig ?
Sep 17, 2014 at 7:28 PM
i solved mine by myself
in fact it was coming from the network. when i am plugged over an classic ethernet switch ...no problem
i have to make more test but i think there is a problem with the listener when communication go through homeplug V2 device
the listener become incredibely slow, like one image per minute or less.
The process of the application in the task manager grow rapidely around 500 000 mb
I tried with the sample given in the zip file and got the same problem of slow listner ...
No more problem with the audio since i had Nspeex to the kinect service