Do you consider to use polling instead of events?

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Hi,

As I know for better performance receiving stream data, polling is the better choise. Considering that the KinectServiceListener does not have a UI it should use Polling instead of Events? Am I right?

Do you consider to use polling instead of events for a better performance? Or Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Apr 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM

The original implementation actually used polling instead of events.  I switched to the event model to easily support the new AllFramesReady event to send all 3 types of data down to the client simultaneously.  Not implemented in the current version, but coming in a future release.

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Umm ok! It is just, looking all the code from the listener I have not seen you've called the OpenNextFrame method, and I believed where we implement polling we must call the openNextFrame (according to Jarrett Webb and James Ashley book). But thanks for your answers!

Coordinator
Apr 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM

There is no call to OpenNextFrame since we are no longer using polling.  As I said, it was originally implemented in this way, but changed to use eventing so we can later properly support the AllFramesReady event.