Is it able to work in Silverlight 5?

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Hi, great work you've done!

I would like to use it in Silverlight applications, is there any constraints to reach this?

Coordinator
Mar 24, 2012 at 2:20 AM

We don't provide a Silverlight client for the project, but you should be able to port the Windows Phone client over fairly easily.

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Hi Thanks for your reply. I tried to use the Coding4Fun.Kinect.KinectService.Common and the Coding4Fun.Kinect.KinectService.PhoneClient, addint these references to my silverlight applications. No compiler errors were found.

But when I tried to connect the colorClient being already risen the console Host, but I was not able to connect. I do no know why yet, can you guide please?

Should I used something else or different in my silverlight app, should I change something (what something) and recompile the windows phone client?

(this is the code I used) 

try
{
if (!_colorClient.IsConnected)
    _colorClient.Connect(ServerIp.Text, 4530);
else
    _colorClient.Disconnect();
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
   MessageBox.Show(ex.Message);
}

Coordinator
Mar 26, 2012 at 5:37 PM

It won't work directly.  My comment meant was that you'd have to port the code over to Silverlight projects (a Silverlight Common, a Silverlight Client, etc) and that the code that would be the closest to the Silverlight way of doing things would be the Windows Phone versions, but they are not identical.  I'm not sure what you would need to change off the top of my head...

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Thanks Again, I will search something about the Silverlight Sockets Theory even I guesses that Windows Phone will be very similar to Silverlight apps. In addition, could you tell me if the Windows Phone Sample only runs on the device? Because trying to check the code in order to conver it to silverlight apps, I launched the Windows Phone Sample on the Visual Studio Emulator but it did not work. Is there any constraint for the emulator?

Coordinator
Mar 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM

It works on device or emulator. Make sure you have entered the actual IP address of the host machine, not 127.0.0.1, which would point back to the device/emulator itself.

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Thanks Once more and Sorry for my stupid question! Now it works on Silverlight I just create silverlight classes for KinectService.Common and KinectService.SilverlightClient; It works fine! some delay but pretty good. The one thing I would like to fix is that it only works (for now) in Silverlight Trusted Applications (OOB and InBrowser), but I would like that it works in a Non trusted application, I supposed that I must work out with cross domain policies but I do not know yet (in your code) where to do it.

Any suggestions?

Coordinator
Mar 27, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I'm not much of a Silverlight guy, but check out the "Security Policy Restrictions on Connecting to Sites" section at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc296248%28VS.95%29.aspx for some more details.  Looks like you need to implement what's here to have this work in-browser...

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Hi, I hope you dont mind if I bother you frecuently but I am an ImagineCup competitor and I am right now at the round2, so please your help is awesome and effective, thanks again. My new problem is that DynamicSoundEffectInstance for silverlight doesn't exist, I dont know why, if It exists for Windows Phone, but well, Can you guide me how to work with Kinect Audio Stream without DynamicSoundEffectInstance Class.

Coordinator
Mar 27, 2012 at 11:21 PM

DynamicSoundEffect is from XNA, which exists on Phone.  You may be able to use it with Silverlight with the new Silverlight/XNA integration.  I'm not entirely sure how that works...it may be graphics only, not audio.  Anyone else familiar enough with Silverlight that may know